Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Fire

The whole of Southern California is ablaze. Mr. Donaghy said it right when he said the "sky has a creepy apocolyptic orange glow". For the past couple of days, we've noticed a layer of ashes on the cars and yesterday afternoon, I noticed four ashes fall to the ground right in front of me. Fire terrifies me. This is the second major wildfire of the year. I cannot watch the news anymore and see people in shock about the loss of their homes. Thankfully, the news is subsiding today and I hope that the fires are as well. It's hot outside. Damn near 95 degrees in the shade. Mr. Donaghy is sick and hacking up a lung. Great. Mucus and ash are proving to make a dandy combo.

On another note, WE HAVE A ROOF!!! We can finally look foward to what will hopefully be a very wet and rainy winter since we replaced the old leaky roof. PLUS, we are nearing the final phase of upgrading our HVAC system. The AC ductwork has been installed and we are waiting for a new set of stairs to go in so we can finish the furnace ductwork. Hooray!!! I won't melt next summer...altho, I am melting now. Our electrical panel was upgraded yesterday so we no longer have to use our electronics in phases. Our little house, built in 1911, is getting 106 years young!! On Sunday, the structural engineer is coming to to measurements so he can start drawing up plans to create a new set of stairs. The stairs will be the most exciting phase of the remodel as it will completely change the entire feel of the house. Be gone you dark and dreary hallways!



The garden is looking spectacular beneath the orange glow. It's unfortunate but true. I dethatched the lawn this morning. I just think of it as combing the hairs of the lawn. So many mangy tangles!!



No comments: