Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Basebaording

This morning Mr. Donaghy called Home Depot to verify the arrival of our baseboards. I splurged and ordered a "delivery" so that the baseboards would not have to be cut so that when we install them they will be seamless. Funny how something so small can make such a difference. I was eager to have them arrive today, but, alas, they will arrive tomorrow instead.

Rafael's crew came and fixed the floor but it took them another week to come back and grout. Mr. Donaghy is incensed but I just shrug it off. Is it possible that the kitchen might be done within the month? After the baseboards, there is only backsplash and door and window framing that must be done. I do not dare think it may be done.

Also, the den is coming along quite nicely. The only thing left is baseboards and trim to be painted.

O, and did I also mention one other important tidbit? Whilst I was away, Mr. Donaghy received his GREEN CARD!!! O Happy Day! He is now an official landed immigrant, legal as an eagle, and can assume a comfortable residency as an alien with all the perks de la Americana such as income taxes, medical insurance, war, and an oppressive economy staving off the threat of a recession. Mr. Donaghy, why did you leave sweet ol' Canada? Nonetheless, he is happy as a clam and I am happier for it.

The garden is spectacular. I find myself wandering through it at least three times a day just looking at everything and being so pleasantly surprised when I see that something new has sprouted or bloomed. The jasmine have bloomed in abundance and the heady fragrance saturates the air all around the house. My favorite thing so far is that I only have to leave one window open and the whole house fills with that sweet romantic smell. The roses are red from sprouting new growth and the wisteria have burst with furry heads of blooms just waiting to hang from those twisty branches. In the shade garden, the calla lilies' foliage is lending quite a tropical feel with those huge plumes of green leaves and the hummingbirds drink water from the trumpets of those grand creamy white flowers.

I have two azaleas my uncle gave me and I think I am going to plant them in urns and site them on either side of the entrance to the garden.

No comments: