Saturday, March 15, 2008

Saturday in the Garden

I woke up at 8:30am this morning and greedily consumed the coffee that Mr. Donaghy had prepared for me. I noticed that the air was a bit more chilly than it has been and when I looked up, I could see gray clouds moving in our direction. Within five minutes, the sun poked through and for most of the morning, although there was still a chill in the air, the threat of rain did not loom so near.

So I wandered out to the front garden and proceeded to water the lawn for, o, I'd say 45 minutes. Seeing as how I haven't watered in a while, I figured the plants could use a little H20. I looked at the roses and felt that a Spring weeding and fertilizing was in due order.

There I was, wide brimmed hat and all, sweatin' away, hacking at the earth, and on all fours ripping long weeds out of the thorns of my roses. I applied organic rose food. Synthetic rose food. Bone meal. Blood meal. I was about to bust out the shredded coconut shells for mulching when I decided that I should water well first.

I watered and watered and watered. I soaked my David Austin babies at least twice and checked for aphids. Aha! None! Know why? 'Cuz they are pretty healthy plants and aren't I doing such a good job? I may even spray insecticide/fungicide--hey wait a minute! My hat was blown off my head! The wind was picking up something fierce and Mr. Donaghy, who was outside painting and cutting the baseboards (those damn baseboards!), yelled for me to help him bring them into the house because it was raining. Since I had the hose in my hand, I did not even notice that it was raining!

And then it stopped.

And then it started.

And then it stopped again.

And now it's starting again.

I will keep you posted.

Just Kidding.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.