Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Plants I Wanna Plant

There is an area of my garden that has a tremendous amount of shade. Luckily, I gravitate towards shade gardening and I personally think that a shade garden is far more rewarding and relaxing than a sun garden.

Here are some of my favorite plants and ones that I will be planting.







I plan to plant a copious amount of camellias, azaleas, and hakenachloa. The accents will be bamboo and angel's trumpet.




And, of course, Japanese Maples. I have three already and they are losing their leaves. However, they are greeting the autumn with the most fascinating red buds just swollen with the promise of a burst of red shock! I can't wait!

Altho the urge to plant tons of different kinds of plants exist within me, I think the most muted yet powerful statement can be made with the simple repitition of the same kinds of plants. Of course, the plants must have foliage interest as well otherwise it's impact can not be appreciated during it's off season.

I particularly like these plants because they have a fall/winter bloom. The other plants are interesting all year in terms of foliage.

So, at the end of this winter season, guess who is going to hit up all the nurseries for clearance sales of said wonderful shade plants?

No comments: