Wednesday, November 12, 2008

What to do when you throw your back out...

Last night, I was preparing myself for a long and luxurious soak in the tub as I had just finished a long day at work. I ever so gracefully raised my leg to be lowered into the tub of hot water only to be met with a shooting pain that stabbed me like a Judas in my lower back. A nerve was struck and my leg was suspended in mid air paralyzed with pain that left me doubled over like a rice patty harvester.

"AHHHHH! MR. DONAGHY!!!!" I yelped from the bathroom.

"What is it?" Mr. Donaghy asked with apprehension.

"My back! I think I just threw out my back!" I replied.

"What did you do?" Mr. Donaghy asked.

"I don't know!" I said. And before he could mutter another word, the following irritating noise left my body. "Iiiiiiiiiiit huuuuuuuuuuurts! Huuuuuuuuuuuu-uuu-uuuu-uuuh!"

Silence.

I realize now that I prematurely started to whine. That said, I have no one to blame but myself for the lack of sympathy for my thrown back. It's like crying wolf even though it's really a wolf and the whining has left the other person with the wish that the damn wolf would just eat you up so they won't have to listen to it anymore. Whining is such a querulous act and once performed, any ounce of stoic heroics are viewed as "oh-it's-not-so-bad." I should have just stayed a silent movie and let the physicality of my body do all the talking.

However, I knew that Mr. Donaghy really was sympathetic when he offered to get out of bed to turn off the bedside lamp...on my side of the bed. What a good husband.

BUT, onto the next day. What do I do with myself when I am crippled? The only position I feel good in is in the sitting position. Alas, I have plunked myself down in front of the computer and have decided to post quite prolific. I am obsessed with the idea of redecorating the two other rooms we have and thus, have started to compile images of paint colors, furniture arrangements and the like.

I am always really inspired when I see anything that Kelly Wearstler does.



I love how her rooms are so graphic but not too overdone because the colors are usually muted with a huge pop or emphasis of said color and the graphics are more like a background effect.



I also like how she is not afraid to use primary colors like I am. I always fear that the room will end up looking like a children's hospital ward but the way she does it, it's like a relief. Almost like the color doesn't take the room too seriously.



Now, how's that for a masculine room Mr. Donaghy could sleep in? I, myself, prefer the masculine look because I like a room to look sexy and nothing is less sexy than a romantic room with cheap thrills and lace and flowers. A room like that is not the room Mr. Donaghy or any husband for that matter could make any kind of magic happen!



I really like the aubergine room. That would be great for a master bedroom.

No comments: