Thursday, April 9, 2009

Mrs. Donaghy, The Interview Part 2

Q: Mrs. Donaghy, why were you laying on the couch watching back to back episodes of How Clean is Your House? last weekend?
A: Unfortunately, I was not feeling well.

Q: Were you ill?
A: Actually, it's a long story. Would you like to hear it?

Q: Indeed.
A: It all started on a Wednesday whilst I was doing the dishes in the kitchen. It was a rather ho hum job and one that allowed my thoughts to wander until suddenly, I felt a vicious wave of nausea take over my whole body. It was then I realized I was feeling a quickening of sorts.

Q: A quickening? What do you mean?
A: A quickening. A flutter.

Q: A flutter of what?
A: A flutter of...life. Or maybe an alien.

Q: An alien?
A: Yes, an alien. Just like you see in the movies only there were no feelings of horror or fright.

Q: Do you mean like a life inside?
A: Yes, exactly that. Like a life inside.

Q: Well, what did you do?
A: I just carried on doing the dishes. And I probably smiled to myself in silent satisfaction. I continued with my days and on that next Saturday, I was at work and told a colleague that I felt "funny". Fortunately, she knew what I meant and during lunch we went to the store and picked up a little test. Well, I took the test and the answer I saw was "no". I was a little surprised because I was so sure. At the end of the day, the same colleague asked to see the test and she shrieked when she saw the answer was indeed "yes"! It seems as though I did not wait long enough for the test to reveal it's true answer.

Q: Then what did you do?
A: I came home and told Mr. Donaghy the news and he was bursting with pride and joy. Honestly, I have never seen him so thrilled. It was the best to see his face bursting that way.

We carried on the next few weeks as though we were walking on air. Everything was great and funny and for the first time, I actually stopped to smell the roses and look at the clouds. The earth seemed to stand still for us and I had never felt that way before.

The doctor told us it was twins and we were ecstatic. Mr. Donaghy's eyes misted over as the color drained from his face.

Q: You both must have been so thrilled!
A: Truly, we were.

Q: You say were. What do you mean were?
A: Unfortunately, the thrill was short lived. A second look and series of blood tests revealed that for now, it was just not meant to be.

Q: Oh.
A: Yes, that is the reaction I get the most. But it is quite alright. I am not the first nor the last. But, when you ask me why I was on the couch, that is why.

Q: I see.
A: Mr. Donaghy has been magnificent throughout. He takes quite good care of me. Quite doting, you know. Brings me things, fetches things for me, fulfills even the silliest whim. It's touching and sweet really.

Q: Any concrete plans of yet?
A: No, just taking it easy.

2 comments:

lizholly said...

you are the best story teller and i know how strong you are but this makes me tear a little in my teacup. oxox i am thankful for mr. donaghy.

Mrs. Donaghy, I Presume... said...

Awww thanks Lizzard.