Saturday, April 25, 2009

Pretty Patio Para Ti!!!

My garden seriously lacks major hardscape. I engage in a daily battle to quit planting and start saving for hardscape. The bulk of the periphery planting is finished and I really cannot continue until I have a real solid plan for where to place a patio and walkways.



I love love love moss. I love Irish moss as a tribute to Mr. Donaghy. I love Scottish moss as a tribute to me, Mrs. Donaghy. Why do I love moss? I'm not sure. Maybe this love was born from lollygagging through many a forest in my days of youth in northern California where the floor of a wooded grove was lush with this soft fuzzy green stuff. It cooled down the bare feet and its softness made it easy to walk barefoot. I also love that it creates a fairy feeling. Very Lord of the Rings, you know?

I really like the river birch trees as well. I'll try to find a spot for a duo of those.



I like that this little patio creates a feeling of secrecy. To be honest, I do tend to gravitate towards gardens that are more modern and minimal...rows of repeated plantings that seem to spontaneously burst forth from simple and sleek hardscape. However, I think that every garden should have an element of secrecy. Meaning, nothing should be seen all at once. The modern feel is spacious and clean and neat but a secret spot should be wild and hidden. A place where I can hide from Mr. Donaghy for a moment only to be found by surprise and then, a secret second (or two) of passion hidden from the neighbors!!!

No comments: